SOUTHWICK, Mass. (July 9, 2017) – Monster Energy Pro Circuit Kawasaki’s Joey Savatgy and Adam Cianciarulo had two very different races, but both collected top-10 finishes in the sand during Round 7 at The Wick 338. Even with a rainy Moto 2, Savatgy finished the day sixth overall, while Cianciarulo rounded out the top 10. Both Justin Hill and Austin Forkner ended the first moto early and ultimately sat out Moto 2.
Joey Savatgy: It was a solid day for Savatgy on his No. 17 Kawasaki KX250F. After qualifying eighth, he got out to a fifth place start in Moto 1. He fell back a few spots, but held on strong to seventh where he finished at the end of 30 minutes, plus 2 laps. In the second moto, Savatgy once again got out to a fifth-place start and was able to stick with the front group. He rode strong despite the downpour that took place and held on to fifth. His 7-5 moto scores placed him sixth overall.
“Starts were important this weekend and I was able to stay out of trouble early,” said Savatgy. “I just wished I was able to take advantage of the opportunity to close to the front pack early on. I’ll keep working as we get a weekend off, but looking forward to getting back out on the track.”
Cianciarulo started the day as the top qualifier, giving him the best gate pick in Moto 1. Unfortunately he went down on the first lap and was dead last. He dug deep and worked his way through 25 riders to finish in 15th place. In Moto 2, he stayed out of the carnage in the first turn but was 15th off the start. He made his run toward the front and finished the moto ninth. Despite the tough first moto start, he was still able to bring home 10th overall.
“It’s never easy when you know you are capable of much better results,” said Cianciarulo. “My fitness and speed are there, but the mistakes have definitely hurt me. I am eager to prove that I am capable of running up front.”
Forkner started the day with a top 10 qualifying result. As he rounded the first turn he was collected in an incident that appeared to effect his rear brake. After coming in for some maintenance, he rejoined the race but went down and he decided to call it a day.
Hill started Moto 1 inside the top 10, but just after the halfway point he went down and made the decision to not race Moto 2.
250 Class Results (Moto Results)
- Zach Osborne, Husqvarna (2-1)
- Dylan Ferrandis, Yamaha (1-2)
- Alex Martin, KTM (3-3)
- RJ Hampshire, Honda (5-4)
- Jeremy Martin, Honda (4-6)
- Joey Savatgy, Kawasaki (7-5)
- Mitchell Harrison, Yamaha (6-7)
- Chase Sexton, Honda (9-8)
- Colt Nichols, Yamaha (8-10)
- Adam Cianciarulo, Kawasaki (15-9)
38. Justin Hill, Kawasaki (36-38)
40. Austin Forkner, Kawasaki (37-40)
250 Class Points, After 7 of 12 Rounds
- Zach Osborne, Husqvarna, 301
- Alex Martin, KTM, 256
- Jeremy Martin, Honda, 242
- Dylan Ferrandis, Yamaha, 199
- Joey Savatgy, Kawasaki, 195
- Aaron Plessinger, Yamaha, 190
- Adam Cianciarulo, Kawasaki, 186
- Austin Forkner, Kawasaki, 184
- Mitchell Harrison, Yamaha, 176
- Colt Nichols, Yamaha, 168
13. Justin Hill, Kawasaki, 88